The first mirror in the abstract section of my portfolio was such a success..Leading on from this, I would like to make a series of work around my sensory theme with these, as they are colourful and three dimensional. As you can see from my sketchbook trials, the little mirrors that I planned to put acitate on were not big enough. I therefore decided to get slightly bigger sample mirrors to stick the acitate images of flowers on top. From the mirror trials that have been done, I have discovered that we need to focus on getting the shapes more accurate when cutting the acitate and also using less glue.
Due to venue location, I have stopped the creation of the sensory boxes. I need to now research into different venues that can hold this work, and also have the right setting for the nature of the work. With the materials I had already sourced from the sensory boxes, I decided to make a series of glowing paintings. These will work with UV light glowing in the dark. I decided to create these due to my work with autistic children as they respond to light sources to help them with their social interaction. I have sourced a venue for these in London, I just need to go and see how many are needed.
With my overall work, I would like to continue with the sensory theme, as being physically impaired myself, I can relate to what I am creating. I would like to research into Synesthesia to see how it affects the senses.
I recently exhibited 19 dark room prints, all presenting movement of objects. This was greatly received by the public, making £300 worth of profits. Feedback on the exhibition was that it might be good to be selective in my selling of prints, instead of selecting all 19 prints to sell I would only select the best 3.
For my Scenery project I would like to build 5 walk in boxes to cover the 5 scenes. Sight, Smell, Sound, Touch and Taste. These boxes will be 5 ft. by 3 ft. Shown in the diagram.
With having a physical disability I am very interested in how we use our scenes and how we cope when they are taken away from us.
When making these boxes I will experiment to find out what materials suite portray that scene.
Lastly when the viewer interacts with these series of works, I would like to take away all there other senes apart from the one they are using.
Since my last artist statement I have completed the photogram section of my portfolio, I have selected 19 of these images to go into an exhibition in 2018 at the light box in Woking. After reviewing my artist statement I still am interested in these themes, but I would like to take a more sensory approach to my work. I would like to do this through movement, touch, feel and sight so I would like to focus my theory side on artists that work with these themes, especially food. By doing this I am narrowing my art practise as I would love to be an art therapist when graduating. I have already started on this process by doing a series of light works, films and sculptures. I have been proposing these works to galleries.
A few months ago I made head light boxes as part of a sensory project I am in the process of doing. Unfortunately, after making these 18-18 cm boxes I realised they are too large for my original plan to go in a gallery. I would like to now break these down and use them as another piece of work for ongoing projects.
I have created 18 by 18 light sensory boxes for people to wear when viewing them. I have glued all four sides together leaving an opening for peoples heads then filled them with individual fairy lights by drilling holes in the top and sides of the boxes. These will be a set of four with different coloured lights in each of them.